May 14, 2012

the city that never sleeps

So I am finally back from New York and found some time to update my blog! I had a really great time. I went with school, and we were there for five days, including the bus ride home on Monday.

We did a lot of stuff. Thursday we had a scavenger hunt around Midtown, got our rooms, went for dinner, and then saw Avenue Q.
Friday we went to the American Museum of the Moving Image, and watched a Charlie Chaplin film. Then we went to the Nuyorcian Poets Cafe and had a spoken word poetry workshop. It was really interesting, and we got to hear some real spoken word poetry as well. From there we went to the NBC Studios for a tour. We got to see where they film Saturday Night Live, it was so cool! My friends and I went to Carmines for dinner, and then we all went to see an improv show at the UCB Theatre.





My dream school!



In Bryant Park :)


 Saturday morning we did a walking tour of central Manhattan. We went by the New York Public Library, Grand Central, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Trump Towers, Tiffany's and FAO Swartz. Then we kept walking into Central Park and rode the carousel.
We had lunch, and then met at the Museum of Natural History and saw a Space Show at the planetarium there. A lot of people fell asleep, but I thought it was pretty interesting! For dinner my friends and I went to Sushi Samba in SoHo. I was sick so I couldn't have any of their exciting food, I just had an avocado roll and miso soup. But there's always next time!
That evening we went and saw a film called Bernie. I didn't find it very interesting, and I fell asleep halfway through. Oopsies!
  The New York Public Library!

In Grand Central

 Bergdorf's <3
Sitting on "the steps" just like Blair Waldorf :)

 Sunday morning we got on our bus and had a hip-hop tour. One of the guys from the group GrandMaster Flash and the Furious Five came on the bus and showed us some cool spots that had to do with the beginning of hip-hop. He lead us to tis place called Five Pointz, where people do some really cool graffiti. Then we had a b-boying lesson. It was funny watching my friends breakdance.



After that we had the afternoon for free time. I went to Topshop and bought a cute dress and tank, but unfortunately that was all I bought on the trip.
We all met at Cafe Wha? for dinner. There was live music so there was lots of energy, and some of us even got up to dance. Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix used to visit the restaurant, so it was really cool to be there. After that, some of my friends and I went back to Times Square and just ran around and went in some shops until we had to go back to the hotel. 





My friend took my camera and took a million pictures of me walking around SoHo. They all look kind of silly, but the backdrop is nice!

Monday morning we got back on the bus and headed home. The bus ride home wasn't nearly as bad as it was on the way there, even though it is 12 hours!

It wasn't my first time in New York, but I still got to see things I hadn't before, and it was tons of fun. Hopefully I can go back soon though, and see more!

No comments:

Post a Comment